Friday, April 25, 2008

Table tennis

One of the games I like and may be I play it well (it is always relative) is the the table tennis. During winter I play once a week or once in 2 weeks with my friends. almost each Sunday night we meet at my neighbor's house, drink wine and play doubles. This winter season ends with a table tennis tournament in the small sport's hall in our neighborhood.
And this tournament was just the past weekend. 10 men and 4 women fighting to win the small "golden" plate statue. We were divided into 2 groups of 5, where we played in the table. After that there were 2 semi-finals, the match for the 3rd place and the final. I was able to win all matches in my group, losing just 2 sets (we played for 3 wins). In the semi-final I played against my friend that I know from doubles, so we knew each other and it was quite easy for me to win that match. However the final match was real drama. The player - Lukas was his name - was not from our village and I wanted to keep the victory "at home".


The first set, good services at both sides, very close score. The end of set were better for him - 0:1.
The second set, I have found out how to return on his service, I was leading from the beginning and - 1:1
The third set- Lukas has also found how to return my service. We kept to play very evenly till the end of the set and ... I lost - 1:2
The forth set. Again very dramatic set. The set is supposed to end at 11 points, but the difference must be min. 2 point. So we played 11:11, 12:12 and - I won 14:12 and the score was 2:2.
The final set - Lukas seemed to be mentally down (maybe because he is younger?) and the last set was easy for me 11:4. And yesss, I'm the winner!